Gonzo’s Quest is undoubtedly one of NetEnt’s biggest success stories, and although the game has been around for over ten years, it’s still one of the most-played video slots at online bingo sites and online casinos today.
With its loveable star character, excellent animations and sound effects, and mesmerising special features like Avalanches, it’s got pretty much everything you could want from an online slot and a whole lot more.
As keen fans of the game ourselves, we wanted to dig a little deeper into the story behind it, as well as the ways in which it has helped to change the online gaming industry. So, if you’re eager to find out who Gonzo is, what makes the slot so special, the big payouts that have been awarded over the years, and whether similar games exist, we’ve put together 7 fun facts that every self-respecting Gonzo’s Quest fan should know.
Gonzo’s Quest has proved to be such a popular online slot that it’s even got its own Wikipedia page.
Over the years, there have been scores of big wins on Gonzo’s Quest, many of which you can view on YouTube.
One of the most notable wins, however, occurred at Guts Casino in 2014, when a lucky Norwegian player uncovered a €40,000 cash reward in the lost city of gold.
For your information, the maximum amount that Gonzo’s Quest can award is 2,500 times your total stake for a winning combination consisting of five of the most valuable paytable symbols.
3. The Man Behind the Myth
Gonzo’s Quest is one of the most popular online slot games of all time. But besides the eye-catching graphics and the ground-breaking Avalanche reels, the actual story inspiring the game is as interesting as it gets.
- For example, did you know that Gonzo isn’t just a fictional character created by NetEnt? He’s actually a real person, although sadly, he isn’t around to realise that he’s become a legend in his own right within the online gaming community.
- The character Gonzo is based on the Spanish conquistador, Gonzalo Pizarro, who lived between 1510 and 1548, way before the internet and even computers were invented.
- He was the half-brother of Francisco Pizarro, who is remembered as the conqueror of the Inca Empire.
- Historians consider Gonzalo to be the leader of the first genuine struggle by colonists for American independence from the Spanish.
- After being appointed Governor of Quito in 1541, Gonzalo started to hear stories about the Land of Cinnamon, which was supposed to be a rich, native kingdom that many people referred to as El Dorado (the City of Gold). He quickly arranged an expedition to see if he could locate the hidden city, but sadly, failed to find it.
- In 1548, having lost many of his loyal followers, Gonzo surrendered to the King of Spain and was subsequently beheaded.
- Today, you can visit his remains in Cusco, Peru. It’s estimated that over 3 million tourists visit Cusco annually, most of them en-route to the famous Machu Picchu.
4. The Incan Influence
You know those intriguing figures that comprise the rows of the Gonzo’s Quest slot game? Well, they represent the rich heritage, culture and mythology of the ancient Inca people.
Some of the faces of the gods that are used as paytable symbols are believed to represent popular Inca deities such as Inti (god of the Sun), Mama Quilla (goddess of the Moon), Viracocha (the first god who created the Earth, the sky, humans, and the other gods), and Pachamama (goddess of the Earth).
At the time of its release, Gonzo’s Quest distinguished itself among other slot games with its never-before-seen Avalanche feature.
- While other games had spinning reels, the symbols in Gonzo’s Quest ‘fall’ into the reels, hence NetEnt decided to call the process the “Avalanche” feature.
- Avalanches occur whenever a winning combination is created. The rocks (or symbols) that are used in the win crumble and turn to dust before being replaced by other symbols from above. With each consecutive win, the multiplier increases.
- The multipliers in the base game start at x1 and can reach a maximum of x5 while in the Free Falls feature, they begin at x1 and stretch up to x15.
6. Other Versions of the Game and Similar Slots
There are rumours that NetEnt is currently working on a sequel to the game which will be called Gonzo’s Quest Megaways.
If the rumours are true, we can expect to see an exciting new twist on this much-loved video slot that offers as many as 117,649 ways to win and, in all likelihood, a free spins feature that comes with unlimited win multipliers.
In the meantime, you can play other NetEnt games that use the Avalanche feature such as Imperial Riches, Elements: The Awakening, Pyramid: Quest for Immortality, Emoji Planet, Finn and the Swirly Spin, and Asgardian Stones.
7. Facts and Figures
According to several internet sources which have compiled statistics about Gonzo’s Quest after intensive testing, the following are believed to be correct:
- Volatility: High (9.07 out of 20)
- Free Fall Bonus Frequency: 0.66% (an average of every 163 spins)
- Probability of a Winning Spin: 40.36%
- Average Bonus Round Win: 52x the total bet.
- Distribution of Winnings: 68% in the base game / 32% in the Free Falls Bonus