Hercules High & Mighty
The world of the Greco-Roman Gods has always been a popular theme for slot games, although this offering from Barcrest is one of the best examples, both in terms of its setting and gameplay. Featuring an unusual 5 reel and 5 row configuration (which expands during the Mighty Reels feature to 10 rows), the game has 50 paylines (expanding to 100 paylines during Mighty Reels) and a host of special features, including wild and scatter symbols and a free spins bonus round.
Hercules High & Mighty also has Barcrest’s well-known Big Bet feature, where you have the chance to play for enhanced payouts for a set number of spins. The game looks good (especially the expanding Hercules symbol) although the music and soundtrack are perhaps a little out of place.
Nevertheless, this has been one of Barcrest’s most popular releases of recent years and is well worth checking out, especially if you like slots set in the ancient world. You can play Hercules High & Mighty at our recommended UK slot sites.
How to play
Hercules High & Mighty is a 5 reel 5 row video slot where the reels can expand to feature 10 rows during the Mighty Reels feature. Coins range in size from £0.01 to £5.00; when betting the minimum £0.01 coin size, you can choose to play 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 paylines (double when Mighty Reels is in play); for all other coin sizes, all 50 paylines are automatically in play. This means the minimum bet size is £0.10, with the maximum bet being £250. All wins pay left to right and are multiples of the line bet.
- Hercules symbol is wild and substitutes for all other symbols except the Bonus symbol
- Hitting the Hercules symbol in full view on any reel triggers the Mighty Reels feature
- During Mighty Reels, the number of rows and paylines in play is doubled i.e., 10 rows, 100 paylines
- Coin symbol is the Bonus Scatter symbol
- Hitting 3x or more Bonus Scatter symbols triggers the Free Spins Bonus
- Hitting 5x Zeus symbols = 250x line net (up to £1,250)
- Hitting 5x Alcmenesymbols = 200x line net (up to £1,000)
- Hitting 5x Pegasus symbols = 100x line net (up to £500)
- Hitting 5x Nemean Lion symbols = 100x line net (up to £500)
The maximum jackpot win on Hercules High & Mighty is 25,000 coins (£125,000 when betting the max). You win the jackpot by hitting 5x Zeus symbols on all 100 paylines when the Mighty Reels feature is in play.
If the wager level is less than £2, the RTP for Hercules High & Mighty is 94%; for wagers over £2, the RTP is 96%. When the Big Bet feature is in play, the RTP is 98%.
Free Spins Bonus
The Free Spins Bonus is activated by hitting 3x or more Bonus Scatter symbols anywhere on the reels. The number of symbols triggering the bonus round determines how many free spins are awarded:
- 3x Bonus Scatter symbols = 8 free spins
- 4x Bonus Scatter symbols = 12 free spins
- 5x Bonus Scatter symbols = 20 free spins
During the free spins, any Wild symbol will expand, and additional free spins can be won. Mighty Reels can be activated during free spins, although the round will always begin with the chains down and 5 rows of symbols in play.
Big Bet feature
The Big bet feature will be familiar to anyone who has played Barcrest slots (in some games, it is called Hi Roller). You can activate the Big Bet feature at any time by hitting the BB button on the right of the reels. You have the option to wager £20, £30 or £50 for five spins, and depending on the size of Big bet you aim for, different features come into play:
- Wager £20 = Hercules Wild symbol expands and triggers Mighty Reels when any part is in view
- Wager £30 = Hercules Wild symbol expands and triggers Mighty Reels when any part is in view; all low-value symbols removed from the reels
- Wager £50 = Hercules Wild symbol expands and triggers Mighty Reels when any part is in view; all low-value symbols removed from the reels; Mighty Reels remain in play until a win is triggered.
Graphics and Sounds
There are some impressive visual features to Hercules High & Mighty, and this marks it out as one of Barcrest’s most appealing looking slot games. During base play, 5 rows of symbols are in play, and chains cover the top part of the screen. However, when the Mighty Reels feature is activated, the chains rise and the reels expand to 10 rows. The symbols are all well-drawn figures from the Hercules legend, including his parents Zeus and Alcmene, as well as creatures from his life story like Pegasus, the Hydra and the Lion. The Hercules symbol, in particular, looks great, especially when it expands in full across all 10 rows.
The only disappointing feature of the game is the soundtrack and music, which are not at all in keeping with the design and theme, although it is much better and more appropriate during the Big Bet feature.
This is a highly enjoyable slot, with constantly changing gameplay and strong visuals, along with fast-paced medium volatility gaming action. Some like the Barcrest Big Bet feature and others don’t (we have to admit, we’re not great fans as we’re not convinced it offers any value), but it’s entirely optional so you can choose to ignore it completely if you prefer. The expanding Wild and Mighty Reels features mean there is always plenty happening on the reels, while the free spins feature adds a further potentially lucrative element.
Overall, we think this is one of Barcrest’s best releases of recent years, and so is a game we can thoroughly recommend. You can check out Hercules High & Mighty for yourself at our recommended UK slot sites.