Using PayPal at online bingo and casino sites
For a number of years, PayPal removed its services from online gaming sites (as a result of the 2009 Wire Act in the USA), but since 2014 it has reentered the market, slowly at first but with more vigour in the last couple of years, and is now being more widely used to make secure online payments to gaming sites. The result is that today UK players have a large number of Paypal casino and bingo sites to choose from.
Currently, PayPal operates in more than 200 markets globally with over 270 million regular users worldwide using the platform to send and receive money in 25 different currencies. In 2018, PayPal was ranked 222 in the Fortune 500 list of companies (by revenue).
Our expert team here at WhichBingo has taken a detailed look at the best bingo sites that accept PayPal, as well as the leading PayPal casino sites, to help you choose the best places to play where you can use Paypal to fund your account
The advantages and disadvantages of using Paypal
- Paypal casino and bingo sites are well-run places to play – PayPal guards its reputation closely, so you can be sure that casino sites that take PayPal are reputable sites that adhere to certain standards and behaviours. These include having clear and transparent policies in place regarding problem and under-age gambling, as well as privacy policies that clearly state how your personal information will be used.
- You can make deposits without a PayPal account — Even if you don’t have a PayPal account, you can still use PayPal to make deposits into your casino or bingo account via a debit card. This is an option sometimes taken by players who don’t want to share their debit card details directly with the casino they’re playing at, and so use PayPal as a form of electronic intermediary.
- Keep your personal details safe — One of the most appealing aspects of playing at bingo sites with PayPal is that you are able to keep your personal and financial information, such as bank account and debit card details, safe and secure. As your payments into your bingo or casino account come via PayPal, your financial information does not need to be stored on the gaming site’s servers, so there are fewer opportunities for your private data to be hacked or your identity stolen.
- Faster deposits and withdrawals — When you make a deposit at Paypal bingo sites, your funds are credited to your account instantly, so you can begin playing straight away. PayPal is also one of the fastest methods for cashing out, and once a Paypal bingo site or casino completes the processing of a withdrawal, funds are generally accessible in your PayPal account within hours.
- Can be used on all platforms — Paypal is an extremely flexible payment system and your account can be accessed on all types of devices, either online or via an app. In addition, no matter what sort of device or platform you are playing on, you can make deposits into your casino or bingo account, and make withdrawals, using PayPal. There is also the added advantage that PayPal is accepted by a huge range of retailers and service providers worldwide, so your account can be used for non-gaming purchases as well.
- Check the Welcome Bonus T&Cs — At some casino sites that accept Paypal, using it as a payment method for your initial deposit into a new account can preclude you from being eligible to claim a Welcome Bonus or sign up offer. Therefore, ensure you take the time to read the T&Cs carefully to ensure that if you sign up at a Paypal bingo or casino site and make your initial deposit in this way, you can still claim your Welcome Bonus.
- Still not universally available — Although the number of bingo sites that take Paypal is increasing all the time, as is the number of online casinos where it is accepted, it is still not a payment method that is available everywhere. And while it is unlikely that you won’t be able to find suitable Paypal casino and bingo sites at which to play, it is still worth bearing in mind that you won’t automatically be able to use PayPal at every single online gaming site.
- Cannot be used with a credit card – when the credit card ban was introduced to gambling sites in the UK, this also included the use of credit cards via PayPal. If you are looking to try and use a credit card at a UK online casino, you will not be able to do so using PayPal
Banking with PayPal
There are plenty of good reasons as to why Paypal bingo sites and casinos online are so popular with UK players. However, it’s important that you look carefully at its specific features to ascertain as to whether it’s the right payment system for you. The following information will go some way to helping you make this decision:
Deposit and withdrawal times
Paypal casino sites and bingo sites with Paypal offer players the significant advantage of instantaneous deposits, so you can commence playing virtually straight away. It is also one of the fastest ways of withdrawing cash from a casino or bingo account. As soon as a request for withdrawal is processed by the casino, your funds will generally be available in your PayPal account within a matter of hours. However, it is important to note that when you withdraw from Paypal to your bank account, this can take up to 5 working days.
Ease of opening an account
It is free to set up a PayPal account, and there are no charges to operate a personal account in GBP. It is also very quick and easy to set up. To do so, all you need is a verifiable email address (which is also all you need to receive payments via PayPal). Once you have opened your Paypal account, you have the option to link it either to your bank account or a debit card (or both, if you prefer).
It is free to make deposits into a PayPal account in GBP, and there are no charges for making deposits into your account at Paypal casino and bingo sites either. Likewise, there are no charges for transferring money to another account holder or for making purchases in GBP. When you withdraw funds from your PayPal account to a bank account or debit card there are no fees in the UK. However, they have recently enforced inactivity fees. If you have a PayPal account with money in it and have not used it for more than one year you will be charged an annual fee of £9. This money can only be taken from the amount in your PayPal account and not from any linked debit cards or bank accounts.
PayPal offers a range of different services to make it as easy as possible for you to deposit and get started playing. Here are some of the services available to use:
- Digital wallet – the most popular aspect of PayPal is the digital wallet as this allows you to send and receive money whilst protecting your sensitive banking information from this parties. It also provides a very easy way to help manage your money online
- Smartphone App – PayPal offers its users the chance to download its mobile app on both iOS and Android devices. All of the most commonly used features are available on the app and you can get instant access to your e-wallet
- PayPal.Me – this is a great service that allows you to send a link and that person can transfer money to your account. They do not need any other information from you such as an email address or phone number. While this is not a service you can use frequently at online casinos, it is another great aspect to using this e-wallet
Our final thoughts on PayPal
In terms of its accessibility, ease of use and low fee structures, PayPal ranks amongst the best payment systems for funding an online casino or bingo account. In addition, the speed at which deposits are available and withdrawals are processed, plus the ease of setting up an account, makes it one of the most convenient payment methods as well.
Furthermore, once you have a PayPal account you will find that it can be used much more widely than simply for online gaming. It is particularly useful for purchasing digital products, such as music, apps and games from the App Store and Google Play, for instance, as well as for making other online purchases.
While it is the case that the number of casino sites that accept Paypal is not as large as some other payment methods, there are nevertheless many high quality sites out there that do, and so if PayPal is your banking option of choice you will still be able to play at a large number of leading sites offering top class games and plenty of gaming options.