Ozzy Osborne Slot Review
Despite now being in his 70s Ozzy Osborne is still rocking, and you can now rock along with him, thanks to this latest NetEnt slot release.
After our recent review of Black Mamba – the Play’n Go slot about an obscure Italian hard rock back – we are going to stick with the music theme, but review a new slot release by NetEnt revolving around a rock legend who cannot, in any way, shape or form be described as ‘obscure’.
The legend in his own lifetime we are talking about here is Ozzy Osborne. The Birmingham-born rocker (born with the mundane moniker John Osborne) first hit the headlines in the 1970s as lead singer with the hugely popular heavy rock band Black Sabbath. Despite being sacked by the band in 1979, Osborne became a successful solo artist, but his career started to wane as the millennium approached
… only for a complete revival in the 2000s thanks to the MTV show The Osbournes which also made stars of wife Sharon and children Jack and Kelly. Despite now being in his 70s Ozzy is still rocking, and you can now rock along with him, thanks to this latest NetEnt slot release.
How to play
NetEnt’s Ozzy Osbourne video slot is a 5-reel, 3-line slot with a fixed number of 20 pay lines. As is normal with these types of games, the object is to land combinations of three or more identical symbols on the same pay line, in order to win a cash prize. All winning combinations must start in the left-hand reel, and all prizes are awarded as multiples of the coin size multiplied by your bet level.
You can choose your coin size from 0.01 to 0.50, and every bet cost twenty coins. You can bet on five levels, each successive level multiplying your bet by the levels’ value. You can also ‘Bonus Bet’ which doubles your bet and gives you the chance of having more wilds, bigger multipliers and a greater chance of landing a bonus feature.
- A demonic bat symbol is wild, and substitutes for all other symbols.
- 5 x Red Ozzy symbols = 1,000 coins (max £2,500)
- 5 x Yellow Ozzy symbols = 400 coins (max £1,000)
- 5 x Green Ozzy symbols = 300 coins (max £750)
- 5 x Blue Ozzy symbols = 250 coins (max £625)
- 5 x Heart/Crow symbols = 150 coins (max £375)
- 5 x Diamond/Skull symbols = 150 coins (max £375)
- 5 x Green/Cross symbols = 100 coins (max £250)
- 5 x Blue/Rose symbols = 100 coins (max £250)
This slot does not have a progressive jackpot. The maximum possible single line win is five ‘Red Ozzy’ symbols with a x12 multiplier, which would win £30,000. It is, of course, possible to win on more than one payline on the same spin.
Symbol Charge Up
During a re-spin (triggered by two scatters appearing on the reels) or bonus spins, the symbol charge up feature is activated. On the left-hand of the screen, a symbol is chosen which will the receiver of the charge up. On the right, the actual charge up is selected at random from the following options:
- Coin Win: Each symbol that is chosen that appears on the reels awards a coin win equivalent to the win for three-of-a-kind, multiplied by the bet level.
- Symbol Multiplier: All wins that include the selected symbol by a multiplier that is chosen randomly. The multiplies are x2 and x3 at the normal level and x5 and x7 at the bonus bet level. During bonus spins, if both multipliers are awarded to the same symbol, then they are added together (maximum x12).
- Wild: Each occurrence of the chosen symbol on the reels become a wild symbol for the next spin only.
- Upgrade: Each occurrence of the chosen symbol ‘upgrades’ to the next, more valuable symbol along according to the pay-table. During bonus spins, if one chosen symbol upgrades to a previously-chosen symbol, then it inherits all the properties awarded to the second symbol.
You need to land three scatter symbols to be awarded bonus spins (it is not possible to land more than three scatters). You get four bonus spins at the base level and five at bonus bet level. During bonus spins the Symbol Charge Up feature runs before every spin, and all symbols retain their ‘charged up’ status until the end of free spins. A scatter symbol selected during bonus spins adds one further bonus spin.
Graphics and Sounds
It wouldn’t be an Ozzy Osborne slot if there were not any Ozzy hits playing during the games. There are four songs in total: Crazy Train, Mr Crowley, Diary of a Madman and Bark at the Moon. Don’t let this put you if Mr Osborne is not top of your playlist though as the songs do not play at all times. The main reels play to the background of an eerie atmosphere, with wins being announced with a rock guitar stab.
The graphics are well up to NetEnt’s usually amazing standards, although if you enjoy slots with high levels of animation, you might feel a little disappointed.
This slot is the perfect example of NetEnt doing what NetEnt does best – it’s a simple slot that’s been well put together with nice features, great sounds and top-level graphics. If we have one criticism, it’s that the ‘symbol upgrade’ features take too long, and you are left with a crushing sense of disappointment if you then win not a bean, even with your upgraded symbols.
Why not get rocking with the legendary Mr Osbourne at one of our recommended online casino or slots sites?
Laura has been writing for over 10 years, and when she’s not busy crafting articles about bingo, casino, slots, and other exciting topics, she loves to travel, do crosswords, and pub quizzes (just don’t try and beat her at music trivia!) In her previous roles, Laura has managed an IT helpdesk, worked as an IT project co-ordinator, and ran a local events website. Laura lives in Wales with her partner.