What makes the Microgaming Platform Special?
Microgaming also partners with a growing number of independent game studios in the development and distribution of their slots, and this has brought even greater innovation and variety to the online gaming landscape.
With more than 1,500 games currently in its catalogue and new releases coming online every month, Microgaming produces slots with a huge range of game styles and themes. However, the two areas on which Microgaming’s reputation has largely been built are the stunning themed or branded slots, such as Game of Thrones and Jurassic World, and the big-money progressive jackpot games, like Mega Moolah.
Based on the Isle of Man, Microgaming has a well-earned reputation as an innovator and has picked up numerous industry awards in recognition of its achievements, including 2018 iGaming Software Supplier of the Year at The International Gaming Awards, and the prize for Innovation in Slot Provision at the 2019 EGR B2B awards.
Check out our list of the best Microgaming casinos below to see more classic titles and new releases from one of the biggest names in the business.
Who is Microgaming?
Although it has an extensive catalogue encompassing all varieties of online casino games, one area in which Microgaming truly excels is progressive jackpot slots.
Creators of Cash Splash, the first networked online progressive jackpot slot in 1998, Microgaming jackpot networks have to date paid out over €1.25 billion in prizes and, in addition to slots, it also offers progressive jackpot roulette and table poker games as well.
There are a variety of Microgaming jackpot networks, the most famous of which is Mega Moolah, with a biggest ever payout of over €18 million. As well as the original Mega Moolah game, the network has been expanded to now include Atlantean Treasures, Absolutely Mad, Fortunium Gold and Juicy Joker.
You can also play games in the Microgaming Wowpot! network, which has a starting seed of €2 million, and features titles such as Wheel of Wishes, Book of Atem, Sisters of Oz and African Legends.
Another of Microgaming’s most popular ranges of games is its branded slots, based on smash-hit TV shows, films and video games. These incorporate characters, settings and storylines from the original media and create an authentic, immersive playing experience. Some of the best known themed Microgaming slots include Jurassic World, Game of Thrones, Lara Croft Temples and Tombs, The Phantom of the Opera and Terminator 2.
Additionally, many of the features that we now think of as standard in slots, such as parallax reels and progressive free spin bonus features, were first made popular by Microgaming, and it continues to develop new and innovative slot game mechanics that are helping to take online gaming to the next level.
Microgaming Slots and Casino Sites
Microgaming slots can be played in more than 800 of the world’s leading online casinos, including the slot sites featured below. One of the major benefits of playing at a Microgaming casino is that you can be sure games are being operated fairly (all slots are independently tested and audited by eCogra) and that you can enjoy a well regulated and secure gaming environment.
The Hots and Nots of Microgaming Gaming
- Outstanding choice and variety: Whatever your playing tastes, the huge range of Microgaming slotsmeans that you will always be able to find a game that has your favourite features. Whether you prefer old school 3 reel slots, themed slots, ways-to-win games, or slots with innovative new mechanics (like Nobleways), you will find a Microgaming slot that fits the bill. If not, don’t worry — new games are released every single month.
- The biggest and best progressive jackpot slots: Although other networkshave paid out huge wins in recent times, Microgaming progressive jackpot slots still lead the way and offer the best chance of winning an enormous, life-changing payout. Over 18 million jackpots have been awarded across the Microgaming network, with the prize pools able to grow so quickly and to such huge sums because so many slots sites feature its games.
- Play with confidence: Microgaming is licensed to operate in all of the world’s regulated online gaming markets (including by the UK Gambling Commission and the Malta Gaming Authority), and it is also a member of the Betting and Gaming Council. This means that you can be sure of playing in a safe and secure environment, with fair games and clear policies in place regarding privacy and responsible gambling.
- More than just slot games: Although it is best known for its slots, Microgaming offers a range of other games as well to enhance the overall playing experience. Recently, it has begun to expand its range of table games, with new versions of casino classics like blackjack, roulette and baccarat, including Real Dealer editions. You can also play scratch cards adapted from some of Microgaming’s most popular slots games, like Immortal Romance and Avalon, as well as fun arcade games like Inca Adventure.
- No longer offering bingo games: Microgaming was formerly one of the leading providers of online bingo games, but has since moved out of this market, which no doubt will disappoint players who enjoyed its games on this platform.
- No live dealer games: Although Microgaming has an extensive range of table games, it is not at this stage offering live dealer games that can be streamed in real-time (although its Real Dealer games that incorporate video of a dealer offer a similar experience without being interactive).
The best feature of Microgaming slots is that there are games in all categories, offering a wide variety of game mechanics, special bonus features and wager sizes. This small selection of some of the best-known Microgaming slots demonstrates how varied the range is, and that all playing tastes are catered for.
Thunderstruck II— Remastered in December 2020, this is an updated version of the classic game that was first released in 2010.
Based on Norse mythology, the soundtrack and visuals are as stunning as ever, as the ancient Gods are brought back to life.
Thunderstruck II is a 5 reel, 243 ways-to-win game featuring the innovative Great Hall of Spins, a progressive bonus feature where the potential rewards increase each time the bonus is activated. This was also one of the first ways-to-win games to achieve widespread popularity and success.
Silverback Multiplier Mountain— Produced in association with Just For The Win and first released in December 2020, this 6 reel, 4 row video slot offers 4,096 ways-to-win, wild symbols and a free spins bonus round with an increasing multiplier.
The game also has a Buy Free Spins feature where additional spins can be purchased for a multiple of the current bet.
The game looks good on all platforms, and the haunting soundtrack is a great example of the high production values in all Microgaming slots.
Assassin Moon— A game developed in partnership with Triple Edge Studios, Assassin Moon was launched in December 2020.
It has several unique gameplay features, including Win Booster and Hyper Hold, which enhance the potential size of payouts with re-spins, sticky symbols, expanding wilds and win multipliers. Set in glamorous high society, the game oozes sophistication in its design and soundtrack, while the gaming is fast-paced and ever-changing, so you are always caught up in the action.
Wheel of Wishes— Part of the Wowpot! progressive jackpot network, Wheel of Wishes was released in February 2020 and this 5 reel, 3 row, 10 payline slot is notable for having two different playing modes. You can play in standard mode or activate Power Mode, where the Power Spins feature is permanently in play, increasing your chances of landing the Mega Jackpot prize.
The game looks and sounds stunning with a middle eastern setting and soundtrack, while the scatter and wild symbols mean that there is always plenty of payout action.
Game of Thrones— First released in January 2015, Game of Thrones is unique in that can be played as either a 243 ways-to-win or 15 payline slot. Players have a choice of free spin bonus rounds, each offering a different combination of spins, multipliers and stacked symbols.
It’s hard to imagine how the game could look or sound better, with the symbols being designed around four of the houses from the hit HBO TV series — Stark, Lannister, Baratheon and Targaryen — while the iconic theme music from the show plays throughout.
What’s most notable about how Microgaming operates is the way it works in partnership with a range of smaller, independent studios. These boutique producers have grown the range and variety of games released under the Microgaming banner by introducing new gameplay features and mechanics and so this is why, despite having been in the business for so many years, Microgaming continues to be one of the most innovative brands around.
Our final thoughts
For dedicated slots players, one of the best things about playing at Microgaming casinos is that you get outstanding variety, unrivalled choice and an ever-changing selection of games. Incorporating the games of boutique producers under its banner also means that new slots which might not otherwise see the light of day can now be played at many more sites, including most of the online casinos that we recommend here.
Microgaming also continues to push the boundaries and develop its industry-leading progressive jackpot networks even further, creating more opportunities for players to be in the running for huge payouts.
You can also rely on Microgaming to provide a well regulated and secure gaming environment, and you can be sure that at any slots site offering its games, they will always be operated fairly.
Mark Angus is a professional writer and editor currently based in Adelaide and London. Mark writes on a variety of sports betting and gaming topics, most notably football and cricket (he has been a season ticket holder at Fulham for far too many years), as well as horse racing, in particular jumps racing. In addition, Mark produces website content, blogs and articles for a variety of publications, organisations and businesses, and has extensive experience in writing for all forms of online, print and broadcast media.